Leipzig Student Life

 

Leipzig Student Life

As an Erasmus student from the U.S., my journey to Leipzig was a chance to immerse myself in a vibrant student life. From the bustling streets filled with cultural events to the unique academic system, Leipzig offered a whole new world of experiences for me to embrace.


One of the first things I noticed about student life in Leipzig was the level of independence expected from students. Unlike the structured academic environment in the U.S., where grades are often determined by a combination of homework, assignments, and exams throughout the semester, the German system places heavy emphasis on a final exam that determines the entire grade. This meant that I had to be self-motivated and disciplined in managing my time effectively to prepare for the exams.


At first, this change seemed daunting, but it quickly became a positive experience. The freedom to structure my own study schedule allowed me to follow my own pace, and when well managed gave me more opportunities for non-academic activities.  It also encourages to seek support from professors and engage in independent research, fostering a sense of intellectual curiosity and autonomy.


Additionally, the lectures at the university are not mandatory and almost all offer video recordings from each lecture. This allows individuals to learn from the atmosphere that is most suitable to them. It is also great for catching up if you have missed lectures in the past. This is a significantly different approach to the academic structure when compared to HWS. At HWS most classes have some sort of way to program your attendance into your grade and for some classes, attendance is completely mandatory. While both approaches have their advantages, my personal preference lies with the German way as it offers more freedom to the student. 


Leipzig's vibrant student culture played a significant role in enriching my time as an exchange student. The city is home to a large student population, contributing to a dynamic atmosphere and a diverse range of social activities. From lively student parties to engaging cultural events, there was always something happening to connect with fellow students and make lasting memories.


One aspect of Leipzig's student life that stood out to me was the numerous student-run initiatives and organizations. These groups provided platforms for students to explore their passions beyond the classroom. Whether it was joining a sports club, participating in a language exchange program, or contributing to a student magazine.


From the classroom to the streets, Leipzig's student life opened doors to new friendships, cultural experiences, and personal development. The city's rich history and artistic offerings served as a constant source of inspiration, leaving a lasting impression on my journey as an exchange student. I did not have any specific photographs from Student Life so I have included some from my travels below.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

University Mensa's

A Tale of Two Transit Systems

Graphiti in Leipzig