University Mensa's

 

University Mensa's

This week's entry will cover my dining hall experience at Leipzig University's dining halls. The dining halls at Leipzig University are a fantastic place to grab a meal on a budget. With a variety of traditional German dishes and international cuisine on offer, there's something for everyone. The university caters to seven different dining halls that are scattered over the city. Compared to what I'm used to at HWS, the food at Leipzig is not only tastier but also much more affordable.


One of the first meals I had at the dining hall was sauerbraten, a traditional German dish that I'd never tried before. It reminded me of meatloaf. I was surprised by how flavorful the meat was, and the tangy-sweet gravy was the perfect accompaniment. As I explored the dining hall further, I discovered a variety of other dishes that I'd never had before, like käsespätzle and currywurst. You can also find dishes from Western and Asian cuisines, which vary depending on which dining hall you choose to go to.


You can taste that the overall quality of the food is above a certain standard. My favorite highlight is the fresh fruit smoothies that change every day. The prices are shockingly reasonable. For just a few euros, I can get a full meal with a main course, side dish, and drink. This is a far cry from what I'm used to at HWS, where the dining hall food is often bland and sincerely overpriced.


Yesterday, I went to the main dining hall (Mensa am Park) with Louisa. Louisa is a student at the University of Leipzig, and she spent last semester at HWS as an exchange student. She was kind enough to give me a tour around the city and gave me great restaurant suggestions to try in the future. I had a plate of rice with chicken breast and green beans topped with gravy. I also had a carrot and apple smoothie, and the total cost of the meal was 4.5 euros.


Unlike many dining halls in the U.S, in German dining halls, you pay for each meal independently. You add funds to your uni card via automated machines and then are only charged for the food that you choose. This system is perfect for catering to different students' needs. Unlike HWS, you don't need to waste your money on a meal plan that you don't take advantage of.


Reflecting on my experience at the dining hall so far, I can't help but state that it's better in every way when compared to the facilities at HWS. Here at Leipzig, I actually look forward to meal times because the food is good. And it's not just me - I've talked to other exchange students, and they feel the same way.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graphiti in Leipzig

A Tale of Two Transit Systems